1. To convey a detailed understanding of the dynamics of the world economy, manís resource use and the pressure that population puts on the resource base;
2. Te engender an understanding of location theory and the rationale for the location of industry, cities, and systems in their current location;
3. To develop an appreciation and understanding of the role played by geography and geographic barriers in the development of the world economy and within national economies; and
4. To develop an understanding and appreciation of the spatial location aspects of the solutions to economic problems devised by societies.
1. You are expected to be present and participate in class discussion on the assigned material.†
2. You will receive a grade based on your percentage of 350 possible points earned as follows:
(a) 3 examinations worth 100 points each;†
(b) Class presentation worth 50 points.
Internet Assignments† (Sources of information for class presentation)
Economic Geography Glossary http://faculty.washington.edu/krumme/gloss/
Text:† Frederick P. Stutz and Anthony R. de Souza, The World Economy, Resources, Location, Trade, and Development
7. Cities as
Retail and Service Centers.
††† TOPICS AND ASSIGNMENTS
Background to Globalization of Economic Forces
Interview with Jeffrey Sachs:† http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/crash/interviews/sachs.html
1. † Introduction
to an Unsettled World:†
††††††††††††††† Read Chapter 1 in The World Economy.† Web Assignment 1 (due in one week)
2.†††††††† People, People Everywhere
††††††††††††††††††† Read Chapter 2 in The World Economy.† Web Assignment 2 (due in one week)
3.††††††† Where are the resources?
††††††††††††††††††††††† Read Chapter 3 and both appendices in The World Economy.† Web Assignment 3
Exam I on Chapters 1-3
4.††††††† Transportation and Communications Systems
†††† Read Chapter 4 in The World Economy.† Web Assignment 4
5. Agriculture and Land Use†
†††††† Read Chapter 5 in The World Economy.† Web Assignment 5
6.†††††††† Urban Land Use Theory
††† Read Chapter 6 in The World Economy.† Web Assignment 6
Exam II on Chapters 4-6
7. ††††††† The Role of Cities
††† Read Chapter 7 in The World Economy. †Web Assignment 7
8. Industrial Location - Firms
††† Read Chapters 8 The World Economy.†† Web Assignment 8
††††††††††† Multinational firm location
9. Industrial Location Ė Industries††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† †††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††Read Chapter 9 in The World Economy.
Exam III on Chapters 7-9